Did you know that chewing gum has numerous benefits for your smile? Although we often think of chewing gum as a tool to freshen breath, it can also help whiten teeth, remove harmful debris from around your teeth and gums, prevent plaque buildup and cavities, and help neutralize acids in your mouth. Listed below are a few of the benefits that chewing gum can provide:
– Sugarless chewing gum has been shown to help promote saliva flow, which can help neutralize and wash away any harmful food debris or acids and provide disease-fighting substances to your mouth.
– Numerous studies indicate that chewing sugarless gum after meals for a period of 20 minutes or longer has been shown to help prevent cavities.
– Sugarless gum does not itself help promote cavity prevention, but rather the act of chewing the gum, as it can heavily influence the production of saliva.
– Typically, it is unsafe to brush your teeth after eating due to the prevalence of tooth sensitivity and the potential abrasiveness from your toothpaste. Instead, try chewing sugarless gum.
– Chewing gum will not be abrasive to your teeth as other cleaning products can potentially be.
– Chewing gum should be added as a supplement to your oral health care, not as a substitute.
– Sugarless chewing gum is a better choice than regular gum because traditional chewing gum contains sugars which, due to the presence of sugar, can nullify and diminish any benefits that can be had.
Dr. Mohamed Waheed and our team would love to see you at our dentist office in Addison, Illinois. Our dentist at Elite Dentistry PC can help you find which oral health care treatment will work best for you. To set up an appointment, please call us at (630) 592.8116.